2019-2020 Sustainability Leadership Fellow Application
Application deadline: March 12, 2019
The SoGES Sustainability Leadership Fellows program prepares future innovators and thought leaders with state-of-the-art science communication and career development training. Over the course of one year Fellows develop new skills, interact with a wide variety of experts from different disciplines, and learn strategies to build successful careers that incorporate meaningful science communication, engagement, and interdisciplinarity.
The Sustainability Leadership Fellows program helps early career scientists who will be solving the grand challenges of sustainability have greater impact, reach broader audiences, and think more expansively about their work and its role in the world. This program will enhance your career and your ability to effectively communicate, collaborate, and lead.
Program provides Fellows with:
- Training to effectively communicate science to the public and media
- Techniques to enhance leadership, time management, and other professional skills
- Strategies for academic engagement in public and political discourse
- Skills, approaches, and tactics to translate knowledge to action
- Techniques for collaboration, leading teams, building effective networks, and transdisciplinary synthesis
- Membership in a growing network of motivated early career researchers from across disciplines at CSU
Fellowship requirements (no exceptions):
- Applicants must be ADVANCED PhD students or EARLY career postdoctoral fellows at Colorado State University (PhD students should be finished with coursework, postdoctoral fellows should be less than 4 years past receipt of their PhD)
- Full, in-person attendance at the following events:
- 2pm-5pm, August 29, 2019: Fellow Orientation
- Late afternoon, September 25, 2019: Seminar
- All day, September 26 & 27, 2019: two-day Science Communication Workshop
- 10am-2pm, January 24, 2020: half-day workshop
- Attendance at 4 of 5 program training sessions, held weekdays, 11:30am-1:30pm, on the CSU campus from September 2019 to May 2020
- Be on campus and available to participate in planned and additional events and activities during the full 2019-20 academic year
Successful applicants will be selected based on the following criteria: 1) level of interest in communicating science to the public and media, 2) interest in building leadership and professional development skills, 3) relevance of their research to sustainability science, and 4) applicability of training to long-term career plans. Favor will be given to applicants conducting innovative and interdisciplinary work and with strong motivation to improve their communication and leadership skills. The School will also select candidates to represent a diversity of colleges and disciplines.
Please note: a copy of your application submission will be sent to your advisor for their written approval.
The application for the 2019-2020 cohort of Sustainability Leadership Fellows is no closed.