A first for the state, the School of Global Environmental Sustainability is an umbrella organization that encompasses all environmental education and research at the university.
The School of Global Environmental Sustainability (SoGES) is at the core of a growing number of exciting sustainability initiatives in research and education at Colorado State University (CSU). SoGES, located on the oval at the CSU Fort Collins campus, serves as a hub to connect CSU's community of scholars and practitioners interested in applying interdisciplinary perspectives to large-scale environmental, economic, and social questions not easily addressed through traditional approaches.
The School was uniquely designed to reach across disciplines and colleges to forge new alliances and advance greater understanding of the challenges to achieving sustainability faced by our nation and global community.
SoGES is meeting this challenge and continues to strengthen CSU's reputation of being at the forefront of addressing the world's sustainability issues through research, education, and outreach.
To develop new strategies for global sustainability that informs solutions to global environmental problems. The School of Global Environmental Sustainability will accomplish this by using a societal-environment-economics framework to advance understanding and generation of sustainability science.
Our vision is to:
- conduct innovative research that transcends boundaries that will lead to the knowledge and understanding necessary to solve our most pressing global problems
- provide a challenging, integrative, and provocative education to establish the foundation, principles, and practices to ensure long term environmental sustainability while meeting the needs of people around the earth
- engage with the public and policy makers in translating discoveries into practical solutions to environmental problems as befitting a great Colorado land-grant institution with a global perspective
- be a magnet for excellence at CSU, and provide both an external and an internal focus for activities in sustainability science
- provide an organizational structure that can the proven talent in residence at CSU in focused and dedicated ways to tackle the most pressing issues related to Global environmental sustainability
- provide faculty with the best resources and time necessary to be successful in solving these pressing problems; and
- support faculty in creating and sustaining outstanding sustainability research, educational, and outreach programs within CSU and with the public, with a view to translating research into positive and practical change